[ExI] health care individual mandate

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 9 13:08:48 UTC 2009

On Sun, Nov 8, 2009 at 10:46 PM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:
>> Same as how I am asked...
> Asked?

Yeah, "asked" in the pleasant head-nodding expectation of compliance.
I can certainly opt to not pay taxes if I am willing to risk the
consequences.  Maybe it's a path of least resistance to pay to live a
certain lifestyle over another.

>>...to pay school taxes but have no
>> children to use the school service...
>
> Ja, the state's argument is you use the children who use the school service.
> We educate them in the hopes it reduces the probability they will slay us.
> It is not as clear to me that this argument could be extended to the
> Christian Sciencers using those who are serviced by our medical system.
> Perhaps very vaguely so.

I mentioned car insurance as an example of the theory that if everyone
is forced to have it then the costs will be lower for everyone.  I
guess if everyone pays for health insurance... no, I can't even begin
to accept that forcing everyone to pay makes the price cheaper as much
as forcibly raising the number of consumers.