[ExI] how many of us can relate to this?

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Fri Nov 13 20:15:28 UTC 2009

On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 10:24:36PM -0800, spike wrote:

> When we search for extraterrestrial intelligence, I sometimes fear we are
> looking in the wrong frequencies, waaaay up too high.  Reasoning: any
> interstellar communications would not be radial, but rather coherent beam

Any interstellar communication would mean personal travel, as a
relativistic vehicle, or serialized and encoded in a photon or
relativistic matter pellet stream. Have fun looking for those with your
instruments.

> So, it is possible that the reason we haven't detected the cosmic
> we-are-heres is that we are searching way too high in the frequency band,
> and that we need to build some super-inductors.

You can see the stars/able to write this message, ergo we're alone.

> This is an attempted revival of a discussion we had here about ten years
> ago.

Quick! Slay the evil undead ere they rise again!