[ExI] Ants for spike! Dawkins and Wilson

spike spike66 at att.net
Sun Nov 15 01:36:01 UTC 2009

> Damien Broderick
>
> > Hmmm, ja.  Damien this example makes me squirmy in the context of
> > group selection in evolution, for it uses as an example the
> human species.
>
> Okay, but Keith spoke of "women" not just female animals--and
> do most species "swap out" their females? I rather doubt it.
>
> Damien Broderick

Agreed.  We have two different fields of chemistry: biochemistry (sometimes
called organic chem) and everything else.  The everything else deals with
all the elements, but carbon forms life, and is such an oddball exception
that it gets its own field of study.  That field of study is actually bigger
and more complex than the one that deals with all the other elements.

In a somewhat analogous fashion, we need human evolution and evolution,
where the general theory pretty much ignores the human species, or consigns
it to its own specialized field.  It will be hard for those of us interested
in the general field of evolution to consciously ignore the human animal.