[ExI] singularity thru simulation of evolution

Tomasz Rola rtomek at ceti.pl
Tue Nov 17 02:21:33 UTC 2009

On Sun, 15 Nov 2009, spike wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 15, 2009 at 6:20 PM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:
>
> >>What I do mean is this: what is your mental picture or roadmap, however
> fuzzy, to the singularity?
> >
> > If I had to fantasize about it, then I would say some expert
> > system could
> > - by some unevitable accident - gain enough critical mass to
> > develop self-awareness... Tomasz Rola
>

> Every singularity model I have heard reminds me of this:
>
> http://www.sciencecartoonsplus.com/pages/gallery.php
>
> {8^]
>
> spike

Yep, I know this is trivial and has holes. But what else would you expect
from a stone age relic? I like things to be either trivial so I can easily
catch them or concrete like a... concrete, so they can help me in my
hunting.

But didn't you write "however fuzzy"? You yourself have asked for it :-).

Anyway, one more try, however trivially it may sound to some wiser minds.

1. Expert systems seem to me, as anything AI-related, to be kind of
underground. But this is just illusion, since they are going to be behind
a lot of future technology and life-as-a-whole IMHO. Sometimes they are
not called by name, but this is just illusion. The name is not sexy to
common folk, so it is replaced by something else to please the bosses. One
usual suspect displaying this trend are big corporations, where AFAIK an
effort is on its way (and for some time already) to "save and reuse
workers' knowledge" as workers come and go. There are probably some other
suspects that I am not aware off. So I expect those systems will grow and
play a big role in the future.

2. And one sunny morning an inevitable accident - ayay, a
m...m...m...miracle! - will happen. Actually, I think it will be neither
of them. Just a very simple thing called maintainance. A big and costly
ex.sys. will have to be maintained in effort to make it more useful. If
it is really useful and not some money sucker project (highly improbable
if it survives in a business environment for longer), than it's only
a matter of time when ex.sys. gains a critical mass of facts and rules.
Hence I call it inevitable. Just let it stay in the game for long enough
and it will get complicated enough (don't know if this means years or
decades).

3. An ex.sys. develops self-awareness, by which I mean it can compute the
fact of it's own existence from it's database, while the fact itself has
not been explicitly entered into a db. I.e. the computation is not a
simple "find a statement" job.

4. What happens next - I think it depends a lot on how much autonomy this
ex.sys. will be granted by its owners. I doubt they will be able to get an
idea about what's going on. They should know it too, and would prepare in
advance for such event. I am far from suggesting they should power off or
reboot and restore last backup (this would be too much ass covering
approach for my taste, no new knowledge gained and so on). I am also far
from suggesting they should watch in ave (this would be too irresponsible
approach for my taste). Between those two extremes, there is a lot of
possibilities, some leading to a Singularity, some the other way. So there
is a lot of probability theory and I cannot say what exactly will happen.

If you are going to show me some funny picture now, I hope it will be a
different one at least. :-).

Regards,
Tomasz Rola