[ExI] translating jahve

spike spike66 at att.net
Tue Nov 17 15:35:16 UTC 2009

...Starting with the Seventies' idea of translating Jahvé with
"theos"...Stefano

Sorry Stefano, that comment just reminded me of the funniest cameo scenes
ever, from the 1980 movie Airplane!, where a couple of jive talkers are on a
plane, the stewardess doesn't understand their language, a little old white
lady (Barbara Billingsly, who played the role of Mrs. Cleaver in the 1950s)
offers to translate.  I thought I would wet my diaper laughing at this:
{8^D

Attendant: Can I get you something?
Jiveman #2: S'mo fo butter layin' to the bone. Jackin' me up. Tightly.
Attendant: I'm sorry I don't understand.
Jiveman #1: Cutty say he cant hang.
Woman (Barbara Billingsley) : Oh stewardess, I speak jive.
Attendant: Ohhhh, good.
Woman : He said that he's in great pain and he wants to know if you can help
him.
Attendant: Would you tell him to just relax and I'll be back as soon as I
can with some medicine.
Woman : Jus' hang loose, blooood. She gonna catch up on the`rebound wi de
medcide.
Jiveman #2: What it is big mamma, my mamma didn't raise no dummy, I dug her
rap.
Woman : Cut me som' slac' jak! Chump don wan no help, chump don git no help.
Jive ass dude don got no brains anyhow.
Jiveman #1: Shiiiiit.
Subtitle translation: Golly!