[ExI] translating jahve

Robert Masters rob4332000 at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 19 12:16:26 UTC 2009

spike wrote:

<< ...that comment just reminded me of the funniest cameo scenes
ever, from the 1980 movie Airplane!...>>

Yes!  One of the (many) things I like about "Airplane!" is that it was Leslie Nielson's breakout role into comedy.  In his earlier, serious incarnation, his film "Forbidden Planet" blew my mind when I was 13.  Then, 24 years later, he emerged with an entirely new persona, that of a comic genius.  Since then he's been working his way through all the genres, applying his touch to cop dramas ("Naked Gun"), espionage thrillers ("Spy Hard"), science fiction ("2001: A Space Travesty"), horror films ("Dracula: Dead and Loving It"), and on and on.  I guess the idea of doing such parodies started with "Airplane!"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leslie_Nielson

Speaking of laughter, I just came across an incredible offer for fans of "National Lampoon" (the magazine, not the other stuff produced under the NL label).   You can get all 246 issues--from 1970 to 1998--on DVD-ROM for about $20!  Reportedly the quality of the images is crappy, but at 8 cents an issue, how can you lose?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VPNSJY?ie=UTF8&tag=marksverylarg-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B000VPNSJY

Rob Masters