[ExI] Etymological note

spike spike66 at att.net
Sat Nov 21 15:52:25 UTC 2009

> ...On Behalf Of Robert Masters
>
> On the origin of the word "laconic":
>
> The king of Laconia (Sparta) received the following message
> from an enemy:
>
> "If I conquer your country, I will kill all your men, burn
> your cities to the ground, sell your women and children into
> slavery, and plow salt into the earth."
>
> The king's reply was:
>
> "If."
>
> Rob Masters

Thanks Rob.  My extropian outlook on life has at times earned me the
adjective laconic.  A friend once compared me to the Spartan king, who was
surrounded in battle.  The opposing king sent an invitation to surrender at
once, for attacking archers alone are so numerous that their missiles would
darken the sun.  "Good!" the Spartan king responded laconically, "Then we
shall fight in the shade."