[ExI] jobs craved

spike spike66 at att.net
Wed Nov 25 17:31:51 UTC 2009

> ...On Behalf Of Brent Neal
> Subject: Re: [ExI] jobs craved
>

> On 24 Nov, 2009, at 22:20, spike wrote:
>
> > In some rather extreme cases power factor is significant.
>

> Really good point about power factor. That's been my largest
> concern about the push for CFLs, since most manufacturers
> don't spend the half- penny necessary for an inductor that
> would correct the power factor in those things. :(
> --
> Brent Neal, Ph.D.
> http://brentn.freeshell.org
> <brentn at freeshell.org>

Woohoo!  We have a local expert among us who understands power factor;  good
deal thanks Dr. Neal.  I now know who to consult if this question comes up
again.  I ended up scrambling for the old engineering text books, the ones
from which that old-book smell eminates whenever I open them, to remind
myself how power factor works and how to size a motor to optimize or
compensate.  spike