[ExI] Osmotic power plant

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Wed Nov 25 21:28:39 UTC 2009

On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 07:13:02PM -0200, Henrique Moraes Machado wrote:

> That I knew already. What I didn't know is that you could use this process
> to produce energy. By the feedback on the list however, I noticed that it's
> not an efficient one.

I think below 1 USD/Wp you can't really compete with photovoltaics,
if it's electricity that you want (thermal collectors and solar air
conditioning handle the rest quite nicely).

> But for desalination, I find the water theater to be a much more elegant
> solution.

For crop growing http://www.seawatergreenhouse.com/ is rather elegant.
I'm not sure how much hype this has, but it seems to actually work.