[ExI] Some thoughts on the ecopocalypse - the argument for domestic ground based solar.

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Thu Nov 26 11:00:04 UTC 2009

On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 10:24:01AM +0000, BillK wrote:

> 'Almost' the same thing. At present the ROI on household solar systems
> means that I won't buy a system.  If the efficiency was 2 or 3 times
> better, then I would.

The best consumer panels today do about 20%. If the efficiency was
2-3 times better that would be 40-60%. I would not be holding my breath.

Compare that with price developments from Solarbuzz. Future
does look bright indeed.

> Or if the price was half to one third, then I also would buy one.

Right now the demand has again skyrocketed. Once again production is
completely overwhelmed -- just try buying an inverter right now,
or try finding people to install it (this is Germany, YMMV, about 3 GW
to be installed this year).

> > Careful with that blog. It carries a curious mixture of bona fide
> >  news and compleat BS.
>
> Doesn't everybody???    ;)

I haven't seen any such mixture in any other blog yet. It made
me several times quite curious about the author. He smart, why
can't he tell which is which?