[ExI] Is tobacco really harmful"?

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Thu Nov 26 14:59:07 UTC 2009

2009/11/26 Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org>:
> On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 08:15:26PM +1100, Stathis Papaioannou wrote:
>
>> Participants in this discussion seem to conflate nicotine with
>> tobacco. Nicotine is the psychoactive component component of tobacco,
>
> They not only think it's the same, despite ample evidence to the
> contrary they consider pure nicotine harmless. It isn't.

The subject sounds a little, how can I say, "emotional", but I have
few doubts that harm may derive (and certainly does derive) from
sufficient quantities of:
- inhaled smoke of *any* source, including one's fireplace
- nicotine
- other substances contained in tobacco
- additives which are exclusively assumed by inhaling the smoke of the
low-quality, tobacco-based recreational product commonly called
"cigarette".

It remains to be seen what *degree* of harmfulness those things may
have, in comparison amongst one another and their respective perceived
"beneficial" effects

--
Stefano Vaj