[ExI] Is tobacco really harmful?

Giulio Prisco (2nd email) eschatoon at gmail.com
Fri Nov 27 06:19:42 UTC 2009

>From a smoker:

Cigarettes are _very_ addictive. For a smoker it is nearly impossible
not to smoke and still feel like himself. Don't ask me what is my name
before the first cigarette in the morning, I might not remember.

By and large I am persuaded that tobacco, nicotine and additives are
really harmful. Yet I think their harmful effects are occasionally
exaggerated.

Out of manners, politeness and respect of others I never smoke inside
a room with other people (unless they are also smokers). But I claim
the right to do whatever I want when I am alone, and I claim the right
to do whatever I want at home. If something is harmful to me, I claim
the right to do it anyways if I am the only one affected.

In the 30s we had the war against drinks, with the results that
everyone knows. Then we had the war on drugs. Then we had the war on
smoke, These are all holy wars against personal freedom. In a few
decades we will have the war against something else, and people will
still drink, smoke and take drugs.

On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 7:01 AM, Stathis Papaioannou <stathisp at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/11/27 Robert Masters <rob4332000 at yahoo.com>:
>
>> The attitude of tobacco "scientists," if that's what they are, has been equally peculiar.  They did some study showing American Spirits raised subjects' NICOTINE levels more than conventional brands, and trumpeted that with the headline "Additive-Free Cigarettes May Pack a More Toxic Punch"--but my understanding is that nicotine isn't the health problem with cigarettes at all.  (One website, following that line, came up with the catchy phrase "crack nicotine.")
>
> Yes, it's everything *apart* from the nicotine that's the problem.
> Unfortunately, many smokers seem to be psychologically addicted to the
> smoking itself and not just the nicotine, and find it difficult to
> substitute cigarettes for gum, patches or inhalers.
>

> --
> Stathis Papaioannou

Giulio Prisco
http://cosmeng.org/index.php/Giulio_Prisco