[ExI] jobs created or saved

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sat Nov 28 14:06:07 UTC 2009

On 11/28/09, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> That is one of the problems we face: we failed to start a number of critical
>  innovations around 1970s, when  money and talent was plentiful. By now
>  we would have little to none issues if critical infrastructure and
>  R&D work (nuclear, aerospace, synfuel, electrochemistry, photovoltaics)
>  would have been started back then. Well, we blew it.
>
>  *The* most critical areas right now are energy and food, with mineral
>  resources trailing close behind. To address this now requires a world
>  war scale effort. No, I'm not exaggerating. We need to move to crisis
>  mode yesterday. As far as I can see awareness for this is close to zero.
>  Obviously the gap will appear to be sudden and painful, and wars for
>  resources won't be far behind. By the time you're in nuclear/bioweapon
>  conflict territory you're no longer trying to solve problems, but
>  trying to stay alive. Recovering from that will be extremely difficult.
>
>  The longer we wait, the more people will die. I have no idea how to
>  address it. Politics is more than useless, and very little is happening
>  at the grassroots.
>
>  Assuming we here can do something, what should we do? Forget personal
>  attacks at climate science or dangers of tobacco. This is too important.

Running out of resources, like food, water, energy means a large
reduction in the human population. By various unpalatable means. I
think Keith Henson is also forecasting a large human population
reduction.

The trick is to try to be in an area where the population dieback is
not too high.

Becoming self-sufficient helps as well. But that is better done where
a whole town or nation becomes self-sufficient.  Otherwise the bigger,
violent gangs will take your resources. Even at the level of the
government sending troops to requisition your stuff.  A national
movement towards self-sufficiency would be good at this point in time.

As the crisis develops, protectionism will become fashionable
worldwide and the military will be recalled to protect countries
borders. Starving nations don't usually sit quiet and die.

Also, of course, everybody should support any political organisation
that shows some glimmerings of, first, even realising that there is
problem and then starting to stumble towards some solutions.

BillK