[ExI] externalization of knowledge again

Emlyn emlynoregan at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 06:22:37 UTC 2009

2009/10/22 spike <spike66 at att.net>:

> Our ant discussion led to how we are getting extraordinarily good at
> externalizing and recalling our collective knowledge.  Consider Pandora
> Internet Radio, something that made the rounds a long time ago here, but I
> was too busy at the time to mess with it.  I took it out yesterday and was
> astounded at how good it was at somehow scooping up the collective wisdom of
> some ethereal cloud of internet-based human experience in the music realm.
>
> http://www.pandora.com/#/
>
> I started a new station, and gave it only James Taylor and Karen Carpenter.
> It did the rest, and came up with a number of others, which I thumbed up or
> down, and it figured out I like John Denver, Fleetwood Mac, Simon and
> Garfunkel, ABBA, Christine McVie, Anne Murray, Neil Diamond, a terrific
> collection of sweetly pleasant white-bread musicians.  It did a very good
> job of picking out the contents of my own CD collection, which I compiled so
> tragically many years ago.
>
> If you knew nothing of the music scene, you would need only tell it your
> favorite musician or group, and give it a few thumbs up or down, and it
> could create a personalized internet radio station that you will like.  And
> it is free!  No advertisement, no pledge drives, no yakkity DJs, such a
> deal!
>
> Life is gooood.  Living now is even better.
>
> spike

I use Last.fm a lot, same deal. I type in something like "tallis
scholars", then it gives me a bunch of options including "Play Tallis
Scholars Radio", I press that, and I get an ongoing stream of the
Tallis Scholars and groups like them (according to data mining magic),
awesome. Just brilliant. I threw out all my CDs.

--
Emlyn

http://emlyntech.wordpress.com - coding related
http://point7.wordpress.com - ranting