[ExI] "Augmented Reality" in Mobile Devices

Emlyn emlynoregan at gmail.com
Wed Oct 28 00:06:54 UTC 2009

2009/10/27 Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org>:

>> > Still is. Since 1989, or so.
>>
>> Man, you must be Steve Jobbs best friend, to get your iPhone that early!
>
> You see, holding a gadget with your hand, while peering down at
> the tiny screen is seriously backwards. We haven't been that
> backwards for a loooong time
>
>        http://www.media.mit.edu/wearables/lizzy/timeline.html
>
> I picked 1989 because of http://www.media.mit.edu/wearables/lizzy/timeline.html#1989

It is ridiculous that we don't have HMDs. To be fair, I think the
problem's been quality; the stuff the wearables people have been cool
with has been chunky and low res. Also, making input intuitive has
never been resolved satisfactorily. So it's always been in the realm
of something us geeky types would do and appreciate, but would never
hit the mainstream.

The iPhone augmented reality is totally wrong, I agree, but it's a
step along the path of mass adoption. Regular people are just coming
to terms with carrying a powerful general purpose computer around with
them; phones have been powerful for a while, but people have never
really understood them as computers, just as flashy phones, until
recently.

So, you've got to give the great unwashed time to process the idea of
the powerful general purpose device that they have always on them. The
hopelessness of the UI of that device (beautiful though it is), will
become more and more apparent, and solutions to that, like HMDs,
probably including project natal type technology, should start to
emerge in a real way.

In the meantime, anyone know of any decent, reasonably priced HMDs
that could be a usable replacement for a desktop monitor? It could be
one that blocks out all vision. I've been struggling with shoulder and
neck issues due to overuse of computers generally, and I suspect it's
largely due to holding myself stationary for extended (extended...)
periods. I know you're supposed to get up and move around and all
that, great in theory. I'm wondering if an HMD might help, in that
there's no reason you need be so stationary if the screen is strapped
to your face.

--
Emlyn

http://emlyntech.wordpress.com - coding related