[ExI] a dumb question about scanners etc

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Wed Oct 28 03:30:32 UTC 2009

See, I recently had a bunch of stuff shipped to me from Australia to the
US, including a CanoScan 0646Uex scanner and an old Zip drive, together
with their useless transformers that are designed to turn 240 volt 50 Hz
something-amp wall current into (in the case of the scanner) DC12V. The
plugs are all twisty and wrong for the US mains, and I wonder whether I
can easily and cheaply get hold of a US transformer or two that will do
the job of running a thing designed for Oz powerlines. Or an adapter
that will plug into the wall and accept this Aussie transformer up the
wazzoo and still work. I don't have any easy way to reach the local nerd
stores, or I'd be pitiful in front of a saleshuman.

Damien Broderick