[ExI] How to avoid becoming a victim of street crime

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Tue Sep 1 08:46:25 UTC 2009

On 9/1/09, John Grigg wrote:
> A friend sent this to me and I decided to pass it on here.  I realize it may
> seem "off-topic" but if it stops one person from getting hurt then it's
> worth sharing.  And while the advice may be more for women then men, I think
> both sexes could benefit from what is stated.

John

When helpful 'friends' copy these email chain letters to you, you
should ALWAYS check with snopes.com first.

<http://www.snopes.com/crime/prevent/ninetips.asp>

This one has been going round since about 2001 and is intended to
cause a state of fear in the recipient.

>From snopes:
The world is not awash with rapists, murderers, thieves, and
kidnappers, but a bit of common sense routinely applied can help you
avoid meeting up with any of the handful that are actually out there.
Rather than fret about how to properly throw an elbow, or whether you
should run from someone holding a gun on you, or how to crash a car
into a barrier so as to incapacitate an attacker but leave yourself
unharmed, learn these three tips by heart:
Keep away from deserted places, stay alert to what is going on around
you, and when something feels the slightest bit wrong, get out of
there.
While there's nothing of Lynda Carter or Steven Seagal in those three
tips, they will serve to keep you out of a pine box far better than
all the more flashy "saw it on the Lifetime Movie of the Week" moves
put together.