[ExI] BBC article on climate change

Mirco Romanato painlord2k at libero.it
Tue Sep 1 22:34:15 UTC 2009

Stefano Vaj ha scritto:
> 2009/8/29 John Clark <jonkc at bellsouth.net>:
>> Species are going extinct at perhaps 1,000 times the normal rate

>> That's a really really interesting statistic. It would be even more
>> interesting if I had some reason to believe it's true. My rule of thumb is
>> to be suspicious of any article that uses the word "normal" without further
>> elaboration.

> "Normal" is a meaningless concept in this context, I fully agree.

When a jornalist write 1,000 times or 100 times more I, also, am
suspicious. And usually the concept is equally meaningless.

> And, there again, it might well not be (entirely?) anthropic, but
> remain nevertheless a source of concern. I have no doubt that the mass
> extinction of the Cambrian, which could not in any sense be anthropic,
> has been a great loss for our planet, if anything in terms of
> scientific interest.

Well, without the extiction of the cambrian there would not be space and
resources enough for our progenitors to evolve.
Evolution need random changes and selection. And selection imply a loss
of something.

Mirco