[ExI] Call for Papers: Gender, Bodies, Technology

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Sat Sep 5 16:20:59 UTC 2009

“Gender, Bodies and Technology”
http://www.cpe.vt.edu/gbt/

Proposals are invited for an Interdisciplinary Conference
April 22-24, 2010
Roanoke, Virginia
Sponsored by the Women’s and Gender Studies Program at Virginia Tech

Proposal Deadline:  September 15, 2009

We invite proposals from scholars in the humanities, social and natural
sciences, visual and performing arts, engineering and technology for
papers, panels, new media art and performance pieces that explore: the
technological production of gendered and racialized bodies, historical
and contemporary feminist appropriations of technology in aesthetics and
representations of embodiment, and the gendered implications of
technology in contexts ranging from classrooms to workplaces to the
Internet. We construe technology broadly to include material culture and
the apparatus of daily life, such as writing, books and the built
environment.

Specific topics might include, but are not limited to:
-Technological production and control of classed, racialized, aged and
gendered bodies
-Work, healthcare, education and activities of daily life as produced
through technologies
-Performance, new media and other creative expressions as sites for
engaging/enacting/destabilizing conventions of embodiment and technology
-Biopolitics and medical engineering of reproduction, sexual identity
and gender
-Personal narrative and oral history as sources of embodied theorizing
-Surveillance, containment, in/security and militarization
-Identity and technological design, production and use; gender, race,
age, class and sexuality in SET (sciences, engineering and technology)
fields
-New media art and feminist aesthetics
-Technologies of development and sustainability; eco-feminism
-Activism, participatory decision-making and issues of technological
citizenship

As an assemblage of people and technologies we see the conference itself
as enacting the conference theme. We welcome innovative uses of
technology and creative session formats, including performance and
interactive presentations, as well as traditional paper presentations.
Using the form attached, please submit a proposal of up to 300 words for
each individual presentation, including not only the scholarship you
will engage but also the format that you wish to use. For panels,
include an abstract for each presentation. Please specify in your
proposal any special requirements for technology or space that you
anticipate. Proposals will be reviewed by Virginia Tech Women’s and
Gender Studies faculty/affiliates with appropriate expertise and
notification of the outcome will be made no later than October 15, 2009.

Proposals should be submitted via our website at
http://www.cpe.vt.edu/gbt/. If that is not possible, or if you have
questions, please contact:

Sharon Elber
GBT Conference Co-Planner