[ExI] Study: Retail health clinics as good as doc office

Mirco Romanato painlord2k at libero.it
Tue Sep 8 12:21:15 UTC 2009

Stathis Papaioannou ha scritto:
> 2009/9/8 John Clark <jonkc at bellsouth.net>:
>
>> I'm not surprised either, I just wish things would move even further in that
>> direction. I see no reason a nurse backed up with some good medical
>> diagnostic software couldn't do as good a job as most doctors, maybe better;
>> it's not like the doctor personally does the blood test or performs the MRI,
>> and if you need a X ray the nurse will do it . But the doctor still gets by
>> far the largest paycheck. I think the only time a supremely talented human
>> being is still needed is in surgery, other than that moderately talented is
>> good enough.

> I don't know why it's thought that surgery is so hard.

Because people usually don't know how to do it.
They never try to do it.
It is the same with people don't knowing how Personal computer work,
they believe it is difficult,

> It's just a
> matter of learning how to do a procedure by practicing it a lot of
> times.

Exactly.
Famous surgeons tell that "monkey can be trained to do surgeries".
It is all about learning procedures: how cut something, how sew
something, etc. There is not much to "think" about. Only do them, many,
many times until perfection.

I know there are, out there, one or more software intended to be used by
surgeons and students to refine their skills simulating procedures and
their outcome.
What would happen if someone, someday, put out a game called "surgery
room", where players are able to simulate different procedures as they
are now able to simulate the cockpit of an F16 and different missions?
Add to it a state of the art cyber-glove able to simulate the resistance
of different tissues.
What would be the difference from a skilled player and a skilled
professional, apart a sheet in a frame on the wall?

Mirco