[ExI] Civilization, Virtue, and Stress

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Mon Sep 21 09:18:28 UTC 2009

On 9/21/09, spike wrote:
>  Certainly greatly exaggerated.  I know plenty of ex-Nam soldiers, and not a
>  single one of them would I consider unhinged or suffering from
>  post-traumatic stress syndrome.  The mainstream press seems bent on selling
>  kids the notion that if they are sent to war they will be crazy.  I just
>  haven't seen that.

Spike, I think you should reconsider your opinion of PTSD. The
treatment of injured soldiers is bad enough without claiming that
because it is mental damage it doesn't exist.

See:
<http://www.medicinenet.com/posttraumatic_stress_disorder/article.htm>

Quote:
Post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) is an emotional illness that
develops as a result of a terribly frightening, life-threatening, or
otherwise highly unsafe experience.
-----------------------

It is not limited to soldiers who have exceptionally bad experiences.

Quote:
What causes PTSD?

Virtually any event that is life-threatening or that severely
compromises the emotional well-being of an individual may cause PTSD.
Such events often include either experiencing or witnessing a severe
accident or physical injury, receiving a life-threatening medical
diagnosis, being the victim of kidnapping or torture, exposure to
combat or to a natural disaster, other disaster (for example, plane
crash) or terrorist attack, being the victim of rape, mugging, robbery
or assault; enduring physical, sexual, emotional or other forms of
abuse, as well as involvement in civil conflict.
-------------------

One study said 19% of Vietnam vets encountered some degree of PTSD and
Iraq and Afghanistan firefight vets are running at about the same
level.
So you are correct to say that most soldiers don't have PTSD. Many
soldiers have a 'quiet' war. Boring, dirty, pointless, but not in fear
of losing their life.

If you were to visit out-patient mental health clinics you would meet
many PTSD victims there. But, as you say, I doubt if many PTSD
patients are in your social circle.

BillK