[ExI] Senator from Chappaquiddick

John Clark jonkc at bellsouth.net
Mon Sep 21 15:05:50 UTC 2009

On Sep 21, 2009, at 10:10 AM, hkhenson wrote:

> More than 30 years ago, a person I knew who moved in Kennedy circles
> told me that Kennedy didn't know Mary Jo was in the back seat.
> According to him, Mary Jo had gone to sleep in the back of the car
> after too much alcohol. (It wouldn't have taken much if she didn't
> drink often.)
>
> Kennedy and some other woman took off from the party (for the usual
> reason he thought). Kennedy missed the road and went down a boat ramp
> into the water. He and the woman got out, and had no idea that Mary Jo
> was drowning in the back seat. Kennedy didn't think much of the silly
> accident and got someone else to report they had driven the car into
> the water.
>
> When the car was fished out and the body discovered, that story
> wouldn't work, he obviously could not put Mary Jo's death on someone
> else. But Kennedy could not tell the real story (which increases the
> odds he had a married woman with him).

Unlikely because the true story would caste him in a better light than
the made up story he told the world; it still wouldn't be a good light
but it would certainly be better. So why would he make up a story that
makes him look like a complete asshole when the truth only makes him
look a little foolish?

  John K Clark