[ExI] EU institutes massive program to monitor "abnormal" behavior

Anders Sandberg asa at nada.kth.se
Thu Sep 24 23:29:49 UTC 2009

spike wrote:
> Anderrrrrrs!  Welcome back man, hadn't seen anything from you in a long
> time.  We have missed the hell outta you pal!

Thanks! It is nice to be back, seems like the place is like it usually is.

The interesting thing these days is that it is not so much *place* that
matters, but where we habitually put our attention. My mailbox has been
receiving the list, but I have not been looking on it. Once upon a time
we humans were in one place, slowly moving from place to place to
interact with things there. Now we are in a sense everywhere at once,
but we are aware and interacting in just some domains. We have become a
fine mist, coalescing where it seems to be interesting.

This is also (turning back to the thread subject) the problem for
surveillance. It is only useful today in retrospect (and a bit as a
signal to control behavior) since there is more footage than anybody can
watch, so only footage near a detected event gets studied. Adding some
more AI (in the limited sense, not AGI) might make it more real-time and
could in principle allow it to be proactive ("Hey, boss! Something weird
is happening on Beaumont Street!") in moving attention for its owners.
The dream/nightmare is of course full attention everywhere all the time,
where the system itself could interpret and deal with disturbances...

... Which seems also to be a dream also for us infovores - would it be
possible to harness the same kind of AI to become omnipresent online,
constantly techno-aware of *everything*? Imagine Google Gnosis, where
you link up your brain to the GoogleMind and feel as if whenever you
would have read or responded to something online, your outsourced mind
now does this for you... (and of course you can trust Google, when using
Gnosis you *know* in a profound sense that they never do evil, just show
your enormously extended mind an equally enormous number of discreet
adverts tuned to your innermost interests).

--
Anders Sandberg
Future of Humanity Institute