[ExI] Don't be a locavore fundamentalist

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sun Sep 27 17:34:11 UTC 2009

On 9/27/09, Rafal Smigrodzki wrote:
> ### Bill, we live in an imperfect world, full of failures but violence
>  will not make it better. Whatever convoluted justifications they
>  invent, you do not show you are a nice person by advocating the
>  killing of innocent people. Bear it in mind whenever you demand
>  "intervention" by groups of armed thugs.

Pull the other one, Rafal.  You are just as violent as the rest of mankind.
Mankind is top of the heap because higher intelligence made them the
best killing species on earth.

We live in a very violent world and we have to try to make the best of it.
Intervention by groups of armed thugs is necessary to stop brutal
actions by other armed thugs.

Whether we become armed thugs ourselves for self defense, or hire
mercenaries to defend our enclave, or rely on governmental forces, it
all comes down to the same thing in the end. The only way to protect
yourself from violent gangs is to be on the side of a bigger, more
violent gang.

In a civilized society, government thugs are generally to be preferred
over Mafia-style private armies or local vigilante gangs. In fact
government forces give us the freedom to pretend to be non-violent,
because they keep the level of violent crime down so that it has
little impact on our lives.

But it is a big stretch for you to accuse me of wanting to kill
innocent people because I posted an article discussing the possibility
of higher taxes on unhealthy foods.  :)

BillK