[ExI] Don't be a locavore fundamentalist

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Sun Sep 27 19:58:06 UTC 2009

2009/9/27 Anders Sandberg <asa at nada.kth.se>

> There are other reasons too. Take the Atkins diet: if more people follow
> it, it becomes easier to follow for you too - more food is prepared that
> fits it, you don't get excluded as being weird etc. Diets with more
> ideological baggage will of course want to spread more loudly. But I think
> there is signalling even with the on the surface most utilitarian food
> fads. I vividly remember the flamewars I have seen over which weight-loss
> diet was best: people invest a lot of emotion and identity into their
> diet. And once your diet reflects your self image, then you are likely to
> want to promote it a bit.

Not to mention the social angle, as when you whisper in the ear of your
date: "Well, you know, be it as it may, carbohydrates are not really good
for predators...". ;-)

Being carnivorous by now is even sexier than Anne Rice's vampires.

More seriously, I think that after all dietary ideologies have something to
do with transhumanism. See under "biological self-determination &
overcoming".

--
Stefano Vaj