[ExI] barack W. obama

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Mon Sep 28 11:01:32 UTC 2009

2009/9/28 spike <spike66 at att.net>:
> Ja it does, because we are in a situation where every president, immediately
> upon taking office, becomes a law breaker.  We may end up with an odd
> situation where each sitting president must use executive authority to
> pardon or block prosecution of her immediate predecessor, otherwise face
> prosecution herself immediately upon leaving office.  I get the feeling this
> is almost what we have today.

Aren't we say the same thing? The alternative would be: declare war if
you feel you need to, stop dealing with enemies as if they were
criminals and you were involved in a law-enforcement exercise.

This would be best for the US legal system *and* for US enemies, who
would not be considered as criminal defendants from a procedural point
of view, but at the same time would be under the (relative) protection
of international law, e.g., the Geneva Convention, and recognised as
legitimate combatants.

The only loser would be the propaganda pretence of merely
administering some kind of divine justice, rather than openly looking,
within limits dictated by usage and reciprocity, after one's own
interests throughout the world, as even the US used to do, say, during
the XIX century.

--
Stefano Vaj