[ExI] [ieet] Singularity - Non-Gender Specific

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Tue Sep 29 19:02:16 UTC 2009

On 9/29/2009 1:37 PM, natasha at natasha.cc wrote:

> the real (if there is such a thing) Singularity is not male-centric.
> Since this is the truth (if there is such a thing), why are its central
> advocates oblivious to this?  It seems that it would be more beneficial
> to be non-gender specific in its promotion.

Are you asking why more women are not currently discussing the
singularity? Or why more women are not used as talking-heads in
TV/webvid shows on the topic? Or why nobody has thought of inviting
Jolie and Madonna (but not together) to the next Summit?

Since "the Singularity" is an abstract concept about rates of change in
technology, I don't see how it can be *personalized* as either male or
female, except in the figuration of Terminators or Gaiamind or some
other comic-strip reductionism.

Consider science fiction a generation or two ago, when women were
usually seen as excluded from the readership, the creative input, and
the subject matter (except as "sexy" or domestic decoration); this was
never really true, but it slowly changed to the point when now very many
women write sf and a fair proportion of the readers are women. What
caused this change? In part, education, feminism and the social
readjustment of women's roles (made possible in part by oral
contraceptives). With such changes now prevalent, despite the dickheads
trying to push back the tide, it might be that the singularity idea will
spread among women sooner or later if it becomes fashionable. When
Malcolm Gladwell writes a book about it, and is hailed as a genius for
"inventing" this great new idea (as Ray Kurzweil has already been, on a
smaller scale), it'll be in the New Yorker and work its way down. Maybe.

Damien Broderick