[ExI] 2009 summit scavenger hunt (or are we playing singularity bingo?)

Bryan Bishop kanzure at gmail.com
Wed Sep 30 01:22:27 UTC 2009

Here are your tasks for the 2009 Singularity Summit.

This is supposed to be purposefully challenging and is supposed to mix
everyone up trying to meet new people-- and it's possible to finish
it. Speakers are off-limits and aren't allowed to be the answer, sorry
:-).

# Someone who is either employed at MIT or is a student at MIT and in
no way related to the Media Lab (sorry Ed). Finding someone from the
Media Lab is certainly alright, but they are all over the place.

## Someone who runs a fab lab or is employed at the Center for Bits
and Atoms is exempt from the Media Lab condition.

# Researcher from EPFL (Ecole Polytechnique Federale de Lausanne).

# NewSpace category:

## An employee of SpaceX, Masten Space, XCOR, Virgin Galactic, Scaled
Composites, etc.

## Google Lunar X Prize (GLXP) team member-- someone on one of the GLXP teams.

# Someone live blogging.

# Someone one degree away from RMS, ESR, Bruce Perens, or another GNU,
Free Software Foundation, Open Source Initiative--natti of your
choice.

## A programmer who is actively working on free software (GPL, BSD, or
other OSI-approved license), especially if it's related to any of the
summit's broad topics.

# A cosplayer not in disguise (in disguise is too easy).

# A self-identified "do-it-yourself biohacker" who hasn't worked on an
iGEM team.

# Youngest kid present over (past) the age of unintelligible
utterances. This might take some post-conference confirmation.

## Youngest person unaccompanied by a parent or guardian.

# Anyone who works for or with Tim O'Reilly, Make Magazine,
Instructables, Squid Labs, Ponoko, ShopBot, Spark Fun, Octopart, or is
funded by ycombinator.

# Singularity University student.

# Published author of an open access peer-reviewed paper. Not a
speaker. Bonus points for catching the reference.

# Polyglot (>2). You can count Esperanto, Klingon, and other geeky
conlangs if you have to.

# Has their full genome sequenced. Subjects of the Personal Genome
Project can count.

# An artist with creative commons licensed art (or other freely
available artwork)-- music, visual media, and other forms of art can
count.

# Electronic Frontier Foundation representative.

# Someone who went to a DEFCON, CCC, debconf, BIL but not TED,
Penguicon, WorldCon, or CodeCon conference.

First person to shout "bingo!" gets free Suspended Animation service
for one year. Well, not really. What you get is a really great time at
the summit. I think we can even tally up the answers and be all geeky
about the data in the end, too.

Also, let's call this version 1, and anything else we come up with the
second version, so that we can keep this all straight. Does anyone
have anything to add? Can't be too easy ("I spot Ray!" is way too
easy).

Anything I left out? Remember, this is supposed to be fun :-).

- Bryan
http://heybryan.org/
1 512 203 0507