[ExI] Singularity - Non-Gender Specific

Kris Notaro krisnotaro at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 30 02:24:02 UTC 2009

>Not what I am saying -- rather, for the same product you
need to

>fine-tune the message to sell to men or to women. Come
on, any

>advertising professional knows that. God knows how much
money they

>spend in gender-related studies, surveys and tests.

> * H+ movements often started as informal (almost
entirely

> Internet-based) associations, and have grown largely
through social

> connections, rather than through formal recruitment
processes.

A few days ago i switched my facebook setting for gender to
"female", and what a difference it made!  Instead of commercials for t-shirts, sex
related ads, "see who is searching for you" messages, instead i now
get commercials for nursing degrees, marriages, online games, and donations to philanthropic
organizations.

Clearly gender identity and the notion of "masculine" and "faminie is a product of social conditioning - which
hasnt gone away. A touch of difference in the brain's of males and females is a
reality however, but one which shows that there’s less difference instead of
more. There’s more then 20 or 30 ways the brain could be "feminized"
or "masculineized" in that the brains between men and women are a
little different dimorphicly on a macro scale. (see Rosario ,
276-278) Mainly the agreed apon difference is in the INAH-3 region of the
brain.  However there may be many reasons
for the difference, mainly neural plasticity and environmental effects.

see

http://vrosario.bol.ucla.edu/CV/GLQ15.2_06_Rosario.pdf

ok, so the white-male problem its probably not because of
genetics or innate differences when it comes to taking up technology as a
passion.

If the H+ and Singularity community is in fact more
associated with white men it is not only because of advertising, but many other
environmental and societal reasons as well.
Patricia Hill Collins coined the term "the Matrix of
Domination" which explains how power is distributed in our society (btw,
we can already see how H+ and Singularity theories are playing into power in
society by greedy people, but we also know that the result of H+ and the
concept of a Singularity at least will probably decrease power of the greedy individual
because of information accessibility enhanced brains, etc.)

"The Matrix of Domination is a sociological theory that
explains issues of oppression that deal with race, class, and gender, though
recognized as different social classifications, which are all interconnected.
Other forms of classification, such as sexual orientation, religion, or age,
apply to this theory as well. Patricia Hill Collins is credited with
introducing the theory in her work entitled Black Feminist Thought: Knowledge,
Consciousness, and the Politics of Empowerment.

As the term implies, there are many different ways one might
experience domination, facing many different challenges in which one obstacle,
such as race, may overlap with other sociological features. Such things as
race, age, and sex, may affect an individual in extremely different ways, in
such simple cases as varying geography, socioeconomic status, or simply
throughout time. Many feminist authors have contributed a great deal of
research toward the understanding and application of domination models in many
realms of society." (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matrix_of_Domination)

http://www.hartford-hwp.com/archives/45a/252.html

So, if we go along with the notion of "the Matrix of
Domination" we can conclude that it stems from race, class, gender, and a
history of inequality.  The history of
capitalism, slavery, western colonialism, sexism etc. is to blame hands
down.  Remember it’s still only 2009, our society is still vastly effected by
past and present oppression.

Think about the history of science fiction, technological
inventions, women in science, and the history of sexism and social constructs
of reality.  We need to figure out how to
rid our society of such oppression…  can
this happen before the singularity or widespread H+ transition?  If it doesn’t what will that mean?  How can we increase awareness of H+ issues
among womyn?  Check out this amazing article from Nature about womyn in science:http://www.nature.com/embor/journal/v8/n11/full/7401109.html

http://www.womeninscience.co.uk/index.php

http://www.newscientist.com/special/women-in-science-2009-intro

http://www.now.org/issues/economic/factsheet.html