[ExI] fuel economy vs danger

spike spike66 at att.net
Thu Apr 1 22:40:59 UTC 2010

New federal standards for fuel economy in cars:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/04/01/obama-administration-releases-new
-fuel-efficiency-rules/

The big talk is about how much more dangerous these tiny cars will be,
however the criteria upon which the numbers are based seem to have at least
two obvious systematic errors.  They go on and on about how the occupants of
the tiny cars are more likely to die in a collision, but it looks to me like
they fail to account for the fact that the smaller cars are slower, so they
should not just rely on the standard 60 mph head-on into a barrier.  Perhaps
they should equate standard modern Detroits at 60 with the future microcars
at 45.

Second, the presence of the tiny cars makes it safer for everyone who does
not drive them.  If some drunken prole hits me while I am driving Mister
Lincoln, she is more likely to perish, but I am less likely to do so, or
even to suffer severe injury.  That seems like at least a break-even
safety-wise.