[ExI] [mta] Are we actors in transcendent films?

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Sun Apr 4 23:33:49 UTC 2010

On Apr 4, 2010, at 9:56 AM, BillK wrote:

> On 4/4/10, Giulio Prisco  wrote:
>> Right, plus many other motivations that we would not be able to understand.
>>
>> One point where I don't completely agree is "the creators are more
>> benevolent than us". Sounds kind of reasonable... but not necessary.
>> And from our daily experience we know that intelligence does not
>> necessarily correlates with benevolence.
>>

> ???
> Surely the main problem with benevolent creators is the amount of
> sheer savagery, pain and suffering in this world?
>
> Evolution is driven by the deaths of billions of creatures, humans included.

Is it the main problem?  For all I know the creators see the suffering we experience to be essential to the sim or our level of evolution.  In an historical sim especially knowing all that actually happened, reproducing it all in full detail would by its very nature be to reproduce the suffering experience also.   If the sim creators are benevolent then any actual new beings created or the copies of old beings will be able to evolve/improve tech and themselves over time beyond the point of such suffering.   Techno-reincarnation?

The suffering is from the limited viewpoint of beings fully immersed within the sim.  It is not the end of he story or even that terribly important - not like it appears from within it at all.

- samantha