[ExI] fuel economy vs danger

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Tue Apr 6 22:46:30 UTC 2010

On 4/6/10, Rafal Smigrodzki wrote:
> ### My choices are constrained by CAFE regulations, gas taxes, gas
>  guzzler taxes, and a host of other forms of interference, all of which
>  force me to drive a lighter, smaller car (Mustang) than what I would
>  choose if only free trade shaped the trade-offs.

As I said, those items are only indirectly related to the size of car you drive.
Those are consumption taxes, whereby the more you consume, the more
tax you pay.  Presumably, if you can afford lavish consumption, the
small amount of extra tax you pay will be of little concern.

For the majority of people on lower incomes, expenditure becomes more
restricted towards the minimum necessary to survive.

If you want to give everyone free cars, free insurance, free fuel,
free servicing and repairs, then everyone can spend many happy hours
deciding on their ideal car(s) regardless of expense or running costs
or environmental damage.

BillK