[ExI] walmart again: was RE: Capitalism is like a poker game

Mirco Romanato painlord2k at libero.it
Tue Apr 13 23:07:09 UTC 2010

Il 13/04/2010 23.27, BillK ha scritto:

> In the UK the biggest supermarket chain is Tesco.
> (Walmart has bought a smaller chain called Asda).
> Some towns are called 'Tesco towns' because more than half the local
> households housekeeping money goes through Tesco tills.

> In one Tesco supermarket (in Wales) they had to ban women from
> shopping in their pyjamas or barefoot. (Sleepwear - pajamas in US?).

> In most stores, youths are requested to remove their 'hoodies'.
> (A hoodie is a jacket with a hood attached, usually worn to hide the
> face from the ever-present surveillance cameras). One enterprising
> young lad claimed to be of the Jedi faith and the hood was a religious
> garment. He managed to obtain an apology from Tesco management.
> Probably as a Thank you! for the nationwide free publicity for Tesco.

> As with Walmart, wherever Tesco plans to open a new store an instant
> local protest movement appears. One seaside village I personally know
> about has a protest running at the moment. The reason for the protest
> is the same as Walmart - many of the local small shops will go out of
> business. But this particular seaside town is a rundown dump badly in
> need of massive refurbishment. The town council and the county council
> are wildly in favour because Tesco have agreed to practically rebuild
> the whole town centre as part of the package. I think it will be the
> start of a new era for this small town.

These evil corporations stop at nothing to do a buck. ;-)

I would say that the "local protesters" are always the same groups.
Political activists against the evil capitalist pigs (whatever they do)
and the local shopkeepers fearing competition.

The point is always the same, anyway, corporations can prevent
competition and harm unjustly people only with the help of governments.
The minimum wage laws are of this type, like zoning and other like these.

In Italy is not so different. When the big supermarket / mall
/ipermarket want open a new center, protests happen and politicians are
lobbied for and against. The major difference, I suppose, is that the
small shop and their unions are stronger here, so they are able to
prevent competition manipulating the governments. Not that they will
last forever, but they will battle anyway.

Mirco