[ExI] Theories X and Y, and theories U and T

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Thu Apr 15 18:26:45 UTC 2010

On 4/15/2010 12:18 PM, Max More wrote:

> Theory U and Theory T
> by Matthew Stewart

<http://www.strategy-business.com/article/00029?pg=all>

This is very interesting, Max, for something so simplified.

It makes broad sense to me, because I was raised a strict Catholic TX
(tragic authoritarian), although that doctrine always had its utopian
aspects (especially given my fondness for science fiction); flipped down
the matrix to Skinnerian UX (utopian authoritarian); following the
événements in France in 1968 and the left-anarchist analyses that
followed embraced UY (utopian individualist), with misgivings, not
having seen much evidence for it other than small free presses that
stumbled along without much coercive central control, but still ended up
with a few tough but creative types driving expensive imported cars and
the rest heading off to the dole queues, and these days have probably
reverted despairingly to TY (tragic individualist), despite my abstract
fondness for UY anarchism.

That, in turn, simplifies everything far too much, because not all
humans have the same bent, capacity, emotionality, herd instincts, etc,
and it's probably the case that successful coalitions of humans require
a sort of modular assortation, wih the self-starting scientists and
artists allowed or even encouraged to do their own thing while the
obdurate proles are put in harness and prodded or narcotized, horrible
though that seems to us INTJs...

Damien Broderick