[ExI] Mars manned flyaround in a quarter century?

Post Futurist p0stfuturist at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 15 22:35:02 UTC 2010

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100415/ap_on_re_us/us_obama_space
"Obama did not predict a Mars landing soon. But he said that by 2025, the nation would have a new spacecraft "designed for long journeys to allow us to begin the first-ever crewed missions beyond the moon into deep space."
"We'll start by sending astronauts to an asteroid for the first time in history," he said. "By the mid-2030s, I believe we can send humans to orbit Mars and return them safely to Earth. And a landing on Mars will follow. And I expect to be around to see it."

Can a life-support system for Mars voyagers be developed in a quarter century?
What if Obama means he plans to live a very long life-- so that "And I expect to be around to see it" could mean more than a century from now?

It's not what people say, it's what they don't say.