[ExI] discordant red shifts

spike spike66 at att.net
Sun Apr 18 15:43:27 UTC 2010

> ...On Behalf Of Pat Fallon
> Subject: [ExI] discordant red shifts
>
> Halton Arp has long maintained that quasars are not at the
> cosmological distance implied by interpreting their red shift
> as recessional velocity...
> ...After reading Arp's "Seeing Red"  I am persuaded by his many
> examples that the counter-argument that all these discordant
> red shifts are accidents of perspective is doomed... GhostWolf

Hi Pat,

This topic fits perfectly with our recent discussion on how observation
seems to suggest something really weird is going on, but we can't accept it
because we have no theoretical basis for explanation.

In this case Arp shows that quasars tend to have a galaxy in the line of
sight between it and us, and uses statistics to suggest that it is just too
weird, that the quasars must somehow be in the galaxy itself.  I racked my
brains on this question in the mid 80s, and recognized that it does sorta
look like that however (and this is a huge however) no matter what I do, I
cannot figure out how a close object can create a huge red shift.

Even if we theorize that advnaced civilizations figured out how to
accelerate stars with an Mbrain, and we only see the ones going away from us
because the light is blocked from the ones coming toward us, it still
doesn't work.  Reason: there should be a bunch of intermediate velocity
stars, so where are they?

Conclusion: we cannot explain how a star can be massively red shifted, so we
are stuck with having to say that Arp's data is indeed intriguing but his
theory must be wrong.  That's pretty much where I am now.  I have read his
suggested explanations, and don't believe them.  The day someone somewhere
can figure out how a star can be massively red shifted without receding
velocity is the day I send Halton Arp my sincerest and most heartfelt letter
of congratulations and apology for my own egregious skepticism.

Until then, not.