[ExI] Mining the Sky SL Talk I gave today

Adrian Tymes wingcat at pacbell.net
Mon Apr 26 23:44:55 UTC 2010

--- On Mon, 4/26/10, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:
> Recall that a typical reentry event would have the asteroid
> tearing thru the
> upper atmosphere at a very high velocity on the first pass,
> scrubbing just
> enough velocity to send it into a highly eliptical
> orbit.

What if you have an asteroid starting from L5, and moving at
a slow velocity down to Earth?  That's not a terribly high
velocity, and would not require multiple passes.

This is part of the reason why I wanted to first move the
asteroid to L5, or lunar orbit, or similar before trying
to get pieces of it back to Earth.