[ExI] The robot that visits your cubicle

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sun Aug 1 10:26:10 UTC 2010

On Sun, Aug 1, 2010 at 10:47 AM, BillK <pharos at gmail.com> wrote:
> Telepresence robots soon available.

Singapore has them also.

<http://singularityhub.com/2010/08/01/a-stars-social-robots-make-a-splash-in-singapore-video/>

What if your iPhone suddenly sprouted arms and started speaking? You’d
end up with something close to A-Star’s newest line of social robots.
Recently seen at Robocup 2010 in Singapore, the A-Star robots are
sleek, stylish, and highly focused on human interaction. A-Star Social
Robotics Lab (ASORO), which is based in Singapore, developed three
models on display: a receptionist (Olivia), a telepresence robot
(Lucas), and a household assistant (Mika). Each has their own unique
skill sets, but all three aim to communicate and work more like
humans. Friendly, exuberant humans. I guess that since we’re social
creatures it makes sense that our robots would need to be socialable
too. We’ve got videos of these enthusiastic robots for you below.
Check them out.

BillK