[ExI] a new term for cryonics?

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 1 18:47:23 UTC 2010

On Sun, Aug 1, 2010 at 2:33 PM, Stefano Vaj <stefano.vaj at gmail.com> wrote:
> I believe to remember people used to say "hybernation"...
>
> On 29 July 2010 03:36, Damien Broderick <thespike at satx.rr.com> wrote:
>> Perhaps this term has been suggested previously; I like it on a PR
>> outreach/journalism level--it's at once true and much more
>> non-icky/non-threatening than, say, "cryonic suspension" or "vitrification":
>>
>> Rescue cooling
>>
>> or maybe
>>
>> Rescue freezing
>>
>> Feel free to pass this along to Alcor etc.

What happened to the sci-fi term "suspended animation" ?  The company
logo could be the iconic "pause" symbol.

I'm not sure there is a way to make death deferment non-icky.  It's
probably a lot easier to sell indefinite life extension.  Maybe the
death deferment option could be a bundled into the premium left
extension package(s) available?  You know, the basic plan is a
dietitian's personalized recommendation for optimal longevity.  the
Plus package includes a clause for intervention in case of otherwise
fatal trauma where pattern/identity is preserved offline until such
time that original substrate can be repaired and reactivated or a
suitable alternate substrate is available that provides reasonable
continuity.  The Premier package includes everything offered by Plus
in addition to several upgrades that haven't even been invented yet.