[ExI] Islamic culture (current) was Religions and violence

Tomasz Rola rtomek at ceti.pl
Mon Aug 2 18:57:55 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2 Aug 2010, Keith Henson wrote:

> I am surprised that people on this list put such a large importance on
> religions as moving forces in the world.  In my estimation the horse
> collar or invention of Watt's steam engine, or the Newcomen engine
> that proceeded it was more important than religions.

Myself I am not much surprised (just a little), but I think that it's
people who move the world. So whatever moves them, moves the world too.

As of religion giving excuse for predatory practices, there are a lot of
other philosophies doing this as well (including atheistic or
antireligious one). So let's not blame religion alone, especially if what
we care about is improving something. But I suspect the real culprit is
greed, or even more it is evolution-related wish to spread our genes at
the expense of other beings.

IMHO we can go to great lenghts trying to hide from ourselves that what we
really care about is to eat and to fsck. I find this fascinating.

Regards,
Tomasz Rola