[ExI] Carl Sagan once conjectured that, if things had gone right, we'd be flying to the stars today

darren shawn greer dgreer_68 at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 3 12:22:49 UTC 2010

John Grigg wrote:

> Who is really to blame for what
appeared to Carl Sagan, to be at least
> 500 years of lost time and
opportunity in the development of human
> science and technology?

Excellent questions, John. I have read Contact five or six times, and I don't remember that passage. Sounds like Ellie speaking.

> My question is, to what extent
should we really portion out blame to
> the Greeks, Romans, Christians,
Jews, Muslims, and Medieval Europe for
> what happened? And where could
things have gone very right? And why
> did they not?

Have you read Oswald Spengler's Decline of the West? Besides being one of the most beautifully written books I have ever read, he tackles these questions in two thick volumes. He divides the
development of the west into three periods -- Apollonian (Greek), Magian
(Middle Ages) and Faustian (Modern from Baroque onwards.) With plenty of
examples from science, art, politics and philosophy from each period to back
his argument, he proposes that the way these cultures thought were radically
different from each other. The Greeks, for example, were primarily concerned
with form and structure and shape, from Praxiteles to Euclid. They never
tackled the question of infinity, for it was meaningless to them. And they left
it up to the Arabs to conceive of zero. That would have mean meaningless also
to a culture obsessed with tangible form.

He says that Faustian or modern society is concerned with largely with space. Our science, architecture, politics, and art reflect this. It may be that many useful ideas languished in old libraries
because, though some individuals touched on them, we just weren't thinking in a
way that allowed them to root in our collective consciousness.

>The permanence of the stars was
questioned, the justice of
> slavery was not.

In his Politics, Aristotle makes excellent arguments for good government, preferring a polity over democracy or oligarchy. Yet he makes an argument in defense of slavery and claims that
virtue and ethics are innate qualities that a person is born with and cannot
develop. Anti-abolitionists used his arguments in the public debate prior to
the Civil War, just as some fascist governments have held up a translated copy
of Plato's Republic to defend restrictive social policy. After reading about Leo
Strauss (thanks to this list) I was able to determine that Strauss read the Republic
too literally. The Greeks likely saw it for what it was: a search for objective
and immutable concepts of justice, love, peace, and utopia rather than a
literal blueprint for structuring society.

In summation, I believe we were just incapable of implementing these ideas even though some of them were there for the taking. Ancient intellects were not inferior or incurious or even defiant
or anti-science. They were just programmed differently. Archimedes proposed the earth was round circa 250 BC and even set out to prove it by measuring the length of a shadow cast by a stick shoved vertically in the ground at different times during the day (read Heinrich Van Loon's The History of Mankind.) Yet the idea of a flat earth persisted in the west for more than a thousand years after this because it fit a certain cultural schema. A schema that was not necessarily determined by conscious prejudice against a round earth, but one that was literally incapable of taking it seriously.

Darren