[ExI] Religions and violence.

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Tue Aug 3 19:47:55 UTC 2010

On 8/3/2010 1:45 PM, Tomasz Rola wrote:

  >  >  Both Aristotle and Kurt Gödel believed in a god, a conclusion they
   >  >  reached on the basis of their (arguably faulty) logic, so they
would
   >  >  welcome Mr. Rola to their company.
   >  >  Damien Broderick

> I think it would be interesting to see where exactly I claim so.

> I have tried to explain it and I'm not going to repeat. It is however a
> bit sad to see, how my explanations don't stick to your brains. But I
> don't think it is my problem.

Perhaps I expressed that badly. I didn't mean that, like Aristotle and
Gödel, you believed in a deity--just that John Clark's parallel seemed
rather ill advised, given this unpalatable fact about his heroes.

(On the other hand, proposing that the probability of a god existing is
50% due to our alleged ignorance is indeed very very silly. We now know
a vastly greater amount about the universe than was known by the
ancients who invented their desperate warlord analogies, and none of it
is consistent with the reality of such a deity, nor of almost any other
kind. When this information is taken into account, the probability of a
god is negligible.)

Damien Broderick