[ExI] will raise bugs for food

darren shawn greer dgreer_68 at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 5 14:34:44 UTC 2010

> People aren't grossed out about eating spiders or insects because some
> of them are venomous, it's because they find the idea repulsive. The
> fact that lobsters, crabs, shrimp, crayfish, etc., are pretty much
> just large water bugs and are not only edible but delectable means
> that making insects a desirable food product is probably not
> insurmountable, provided they really do taste good.

I never suggested that eating insects was insurmountable. Only that many of us have a deep physical aversion to them that is likely left-over evolutionary conditioning because so many of them are toxic, or were, at some stage in human development. This is kind of gross, but human beings also find their own excrement repulsive, which is also probably an evolutionary safe-guard to keep us from eating it in times of extreme hunger and getting sick. But not all mammals do. Dogs, for example, often indulge, finding in their own and other animal scat a rich source of protein which they will eat when nothing else is available. But genetic mutation and natural selection has provided them with saliva that kills more bacteria than human saliva. As a result their brains don't classify scat to be as repulsive as we do, because there is a benefit to them eating it, when for us there is only danger.

There is nothing to say that human beings can't think our way past an evolutionary imperative. We have enough technology to determine which insects are poisonous, and have been bitten enough times to be cautious.  Any biological conditioning can be over-come by force of will, necessity, and enough social conditioning.

The lobster comment was really just a joke anyway. Although I do like them and eating spider meat doesn't really appeal to me. Who knows? Maybe one day I'll be considered a culinary boor.

D.