[ExI] anorexic geniuses, was Re: Religions and violence.

John Clark jonkc at bellsouth.net
Thu Aug 5 17:28:35 UTC 2010

On Aug 3, 2010, at 4:53 PM, Gregory Jones wrote:

> he [Godel] escaped the Nazis

True, but Godel was not Jewish and there is no evidence any of his ancestors were Jewish. But that didn't prevent him from getting beaten up by a teenage mob of Hitler Youth; they knew he was an intellectual and apparently they thought he looked Jewish, and that was good enough for them. Even as liberal a person as Bertrand Russell assumed he was Jewish and said that group had a undue fondness for metaphysics, Goedel responded cooly, "I am not a Jew, even though I don't think this question is of any importance".

  John K Clark