[ExI] will raise bugs for food

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 6 03:24:30 UTC 2010

On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 9:06 PM, darren shawn greer
<dgreer_68 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qA7QFfnMYPc
> Here's a pioneer in the field, though apparently he didn't know much about monarchs. Or maybe it was a very original suicide attempt.

Have you ever seen a Regal Moth [1] up close?  One landed on my
building at work; a coworker asked me to verify if this thing was real
- see the link below, a moth with a wingspan of 9.5-15.5 cm!  Very few
of the pictures I could find online have any appreciable scale to
imagine so large a moth.  I described it as an orange tarantula with
wings.  The bottom picture on the Wikipedia page gives some scale of
the larvae in a human hand.  So if Spike is looking for a candidate
source for HPG, it won't take many of these fatties to make a filling
snack.

[1] Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citheronia_regalis
[2] picture with scale:
http://davesgarden.com/guides/bf/showimage/2826/  (#7 of 15)