[ExI] will raise bugs for food

darren shawn greer dgreer_68 at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 7 10:56:42 UTC 2010

And I would like a clarification. Are we talking
> about bugs as food? Or insects (bugs with head, abdomen, and thorax)?

Good question. I've been using the term to denote insects and arachnids, as I usually do, but not crustaceans. (or of course micro-organisms.) All three fall under the Phyllum arthropod, so you could argue that bug refers to all of them, I suppose. Then the raising bugs for food argument would be kind of moot. We've been doing it for centuries.

Dictionary gives "bug" the loose definition as any insect or insect-like invertabrate and its specific definition as an hemipteron, for which is doesn't bother to give a working definition.

thefreedictionary.com defines hemipteron as follows:

Noun1.

hemipteron - insects with sucking mouthparts and forewings thickened and leathery at the base; usually show incomplete metamorphosis.

So yes, I guess a clarification of terms would be in order.

Darren

"Dumb people do dumb things. Smart people do really dumb things."

-- Anonymous