[ExI] The mosque at Ground Zero

John Clark jonkc at bellsouth.net
Sun Aug 8 16:23:23 UTC 2010

On Aug 7, 2010, at 2:06 PM, Keith Henson wrote:

> Flaming about the particular aspects of any religion at a given time
> is the wrong target.

And flaming those who point out the illogic inherent in a religion is the right target? Are you trying to tell me with a straight face that the main problem is that the west is too critical of Islam and we haven't dreamed up enough excuses for it?

> do you see the more extreme versions [of Islam] rising in step with the economic stress on the
> population?

Well it's a real nice theory, and who knows it might even be true, but there is virtually no hard evidence in its support so I sure wouldn't want to bet my life on it as you advise. And even if it were proven to be true I don't see how that knowledge would help us much. If you were able to correctly explain to Churchill in 1939 all the social and economic factors that led to the rise of Nazism, (and we can't do that worth a damn even today with 70 years of hindsight) how would it have helped the Prime Minister solve the colossal problem that was before him?

  John K Clark