[ExI] Jaron Lanier on AI and Singularity, not transhumanism

Gregory Jones spike66 at att.net
Tue Aug 10 06:06:45 UTC 2010

--- On Mon, 8/9/10, John Clark <jonkc at bellsouth.net> wrote:

No it wouldn't, after the singularity there would be entities that are beyond human, way beyond, trans-human...

  John K Clark

John I wish I could share your optimism.  We can imagine a singularity that produces an entity that is beyond human in its ability to calculate, to devour resources to replicate itself, but is far sub-human in every way that counts, to us at least.  It might result in a super intellect, but it might go off devouring all available resources to create processors to look for Mersenne primes.  That activity is really cool in its own way, but it would bother me if it never did any of the other things that humans do.