[ExI] Resources for a beginning transhumanist

Natasha Vita-More natasha at natasha.cc
Tue Aug 10 15:38:32 UTC 2010

Hi Sabrina,

There are numerous resources from which to choose dating back to the 1980s
on "transhuman" and 1989 on "transhumanism", specifically.  The three
authors worth reading on "transhuman" are FM Esfandiary (FM-2030), Damien
Broderick, and myself.  FM was a futurist/idealist, Damien (who is on this
list) is a science fiction writer of high recognition, and I am an
artist/designer, videographer, turned theorist.  We each have different
perspectives, which offer a worthwhile beginning on the transhuman.

Transhumanism is another issue and as you know, it is a philosophical
worldview.  The original ideas and most informative writings are authored by
Max More.  The accumulation of his seminal ideas are located in Extropy
Institute, the original transhumanist organization which is now closed, but
still available on the web, as if frozen in time (like it was put in cryonic
suspension).

Many historical writings lend knowledge to the ideas of transhumanism -
those writers are Nietzsche, Pier de Chardin, Julian Huxley, Norbert Weiner
... The list goes on.

Other authors who took up the theme of transhumanism in their own work are
Anders Sandberg, David Pearce, Nick Bostrom, James Hughes, Simon Smith, Ben
Goertzel, and the list goes on.

Today, the amount of material which includes transhumanist ideas and
writings has grown and I run across new findings all the time.  For example,
I read a lot of academic papers which refer to transhumanism and also I am
finding that over the past five years, more PhD dissertations are referring
to transhumanism - either in areas of accelerating technology, human
enhancement, bioethics, social issues of the future, etc.

I hope this helps.

Best,
Natasha

Natasha Vita-More