[ExI] What is Rational?

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 11 00:13:27 UTC 2010

On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 1:38 PM, BillK <pharos at gmail.com> wrote:
> OK. Prehistoric gene selection has produced a breed of crazy humans
> who can't cope with modern civilization and the conflict between gene
> drives and brain choices.

Prehistoric gene selection has produced a breed of crazy humans who
CAN cope with modern civilization better than any of the earlier
versions who failed and are no longer around to compete.  It may be a
mess but it's the best we have to date.

> PS. When I say humans are basically irrational (with occasional
> moments of rational behaviour) I am not just referring to going to
> war. I am talking about almost every 'normal' day-to-day behaviour).

When the average frightened monkey stops dealing consciously with
their situation in instead follows the herd or the rules of behavior
for their collective - whose genes are being preserved?  When
individual survival is lulled into a sense of security, what traits
are being positively selected?  I'm not talking about the uncle
sacrificing himself for the nephew (which can be explained by genetic
proximity to family or tribal lines)  I mean when "first world" women
manage a higher quality of life for fewer children, genetic
exploration is slowed and genetic exploitation of a small set of
traits is accelerated.  What are those traits that "modern"
below-replacement birthrates are selecting for?